Cardio is Hardio

We are going to throw it back to my high school years.

I started running competitively when I was a freshman after playing soccer for years. I had no idea what being on the cross-country and track teams team would entail other than knowing I would have to run a lot. Little did I know the extent of mileage I would be running. Every day I ran an average of over 5 miles. 

YUP, YOU READ THAT RIGHT.

5 miles a day, 5 days a week. I was in the best shape of my life. Pictured to the left is me at the William Invitational running my record in the mile run at 5 minutes and 48 seconds. Looking back now, I can hardly believe that that was me less than a year ago. 

Now let's come back to the now.

I went to the gym with my best friend Nina on Monday night. We decided an evening run would be easier because no one goes to the gym at 10p.m., right?

WRONG!!!

We walked into the jungle. 

Picture of Jungle from Google


Imagine the Amazon with its moisture-filled air. Now imagine that moisture is the sweat of frat guys. It was as gross as it sounds. 

As my friend and I walked towards the treadmills, my heart started pounding. Basically, every machine was being used by a wannabe Olympic athlete and no one seemed to be tired at all. I hopped on the treadmill and decided to start out with an "easy" 20-minute run. I was unaware that I picked the treadmill's option to electronically run up Mt. Everest. 

I started the 20 minutes strongly. I was pushing myself, perfecting my form, and managing my breathing well. It felt like the good old high school days on the track. Then the timer hit three minutes and it started going downhill from there. That is purely metaphorical because I was running "uphill" the ENTIRE time. 
Picture from Google

Halfway through I wanted to quit. My calves were burning and my breathing became shaky and fast. I looked the left of me and saw a girl running like a hamster on a wheel. She was so fast I couldn't even see her feet touch the machine. So, I turned up my "workout twerk-out" playlist and decided to match her speed. That was probably my biggest mistake. 

I was sprinting the fastest I've gone since high school. I was breathing so hard and heavy that people started to look concerned. My face turned tomato red and my fists clenched together to my sides. I felt like I was going to faint. 

I was in my last 5 minutes, so I turned down the speed to a comfortable pace and tried to grind the rest of the run out. However, my body decided it would be a good idea to have a sneezing attack. So not only was I the deepest shade of red, with sweat soaking my shirt, but I was also sneezing in the loudest tone possible. 

It's because I'm allergic to running. 

My run finally ended and my eyes started to tear from all the sneezing, sweating, running, and fatigue. I hopped off the treadmill in disdain and walked out of the gym, past all the hot gym boys who probably thought I was dying. 

What happened to that runner girl from high school? The world may never know. But this awful 20-minute run could be the start of something new for me. 

Comments

  1. This sounds like my personal hell, I have always hated running and I can't imagine having to run 5 miles a day for 5 days a week. I also have seen those people who look like they are running for their life on the treadmill. Also, I know how it feels to walk by the hotties while looking like hell and trying to catch your breath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I go to the gym it's the same way, only because I go in the morning it's mostly girls in the cardio area and there is always a line for the treadmills, to which I say oh well guess I'm not running today. I know exactly what you mean though about some people running for their lives on the treadmill and naturally you have to match their speed, it's almost a daily occurrence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, I can't believed you ran that fast of a mile that is insane! And second, if I am being honest, I like to avoid the gym because of the reasons you specifically mentioned. I hate the clutter and having to wait for machines. But don't worry about your near death experience on the treadmill, we've all been there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I was unaware that I picked the treadmill's option to electronically run up Mt. Everest."

    "However, my body decided it would be a good idea to have a sneezing attack. So not only was I the deepest shade of red, with sweat soaking my shirt, but I was also sneezing in the loudest tone possible."

    I, quite literally laughed out loud at these two quotes. It is SO funny for me to imagine you finally calming down, but you're body saying "haha you thought we were done making a fool of ourselves." Your blogs are extremely entertaining and relatable. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story and style of writing is hilarious! I tend to go to the gym at odd times (like 11 pm) if at all, so I can’t quite relate to the crowded feeling and the air of "frat boy sweat" (although I’m not sure I want to) but your story made me feel as though I was right there with you. You had me from start to finish and I’m excited to read what you write next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was literally laughing out loud, Natalie - thanks for sharing this funny story (I'm sure it was not funny at all though while you were experiencing it). I know what you mean by trying to grind out the rest of the workout; it can get tough at the end. What I do is put my sweatshirt or phone over the amount of time left so that I can't focus on how much time I have left. I love your description that you "saw a girl running like a hamster on a wheel" - I see these people all the time and I'm like "how the heck are they doing it?"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friends Don't Let Friends Skip Leg Day

Just Some Hotties at Pilates

RUNderful