Just Some Hotties at Pilates

This week, I decided that I wanted to do something completely out of my comfort zone. Unlike last week, where I focused on the strengthening of my legs and arms, I wanted to find a new way to strengthen my core. I was scrolling through the White Building's fitness class schedule to try and find something that would be challenging, but still fun. I remembered my friend in math class gushing about how much she loved going to pilates once a week.

Picture if woman doing pilates from Google
Pilates utilizes a person's body weight in order to strengthen the core by doing simple, yet extremely difficult moves. It is performed on a matt and can sometimes take advantage of different equipment, such as a Pilates mat or Pilates ball. I got my best friend Caitlin to try the class with me, and we even booked the class ahead of time. Usually, we will say we are going to a class, but end up napping instead. 

When we walked into the class, there was a bunch of women all dressed in the cutest outfits. But then I noticed something horrific; everyone was barefoot. Yup, all their little piggies were out. 

Even though it's officially Spring, I am not ready for my toes to be out. I need a pedicure DESPERATELY!!!! But these State College prices are too much for me on this broke college student budget. So, I left my socks on.

I placed my mat on the floor and grabbed a pilates ball, that looked like those gross mini dodgeballs I got pelted at me in high school. The instructor let us know that if it was our first time, we just had to do our best and not follow the strict pilates rules. But, she lied. 

We started off by putting the pilates ball behind our backs and leaning back to stretch. Everyone else did this with ease, however, I could not stop shaking. Maybe its because my core is extremely weak or just because I haven't stretched in forever, but I was already epically failing. 

Women Prepping for Childbirth from Google.
She started making us do really simple moves, but I didn't realize how much strength it took to hold those poses for so long. We were holding up our legs at different angles in order to work out every part of our abdomen, all of this while balancing a ball between our thighs and squeezing. I honestly felt like I was in a pregnancy class prepping for childbirth. She ranted about wanting to see us do the "Pilates shake", a shake that occurred when our abs were so tired we couldn't hold ourselves up. 

My abs were on fire, so I decided to modify the movements by placing my hands underneath my butt for extra support. But then, I got called out. The instructor says, 

"I know some of you guys are cheating because I can see your hands underneath your butt."

Of course, when she said that, her eyes darted right into mine, and made this face. 

Disgusted Girl from Google
THAT REALLY MADE ME MAD.

I'm out here, trying to get fit. I am not the skinniest nor the strongest. but I'm trying to be. So I'd rather not be judged by my teacher, thank you very much.

Picture of Turtle from Google
Towards the end of the workout, she had us place the ball underneath our knees and wrap up into a ball. She then told us to rock back and forth. For the first time in my life, I embodied a turtle. You know how when turtles fall on their backs, they can't get up? Yeah, that was me. 

Overall, Pilates was not my favorite class. It basically combined everything I hate for 45 minutes. After the workout, I went to class and I currently can not feel my abs. However, Caitlin felt enlightened. She texted me right after the class, raving about how she was so deep in thought. So whether pilates makes you hate your life or think about your deepest dreams and fears, is yours to find out. 

Comments

  1. Hello! This was such a funny blog lol! I loved the turtle example. I wish I was able to come! I love you and Caitlin - best friend goals (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though this sounds like actual hell I want to try to take these palates classes. If this helps abs I need it more than ever to get that summer bod. I love this blog, your stories are great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friends Don't Let Friends Skip Leg Day

I Study Medicine (Balls)